Friday, April 13, 2007

CSS min-height and IE6

Today (for the last month, but i just attacked it today) I was trying to get someone else's CSS design from a template to a fully database driven page. I had it working in Firefox and IE7, but I don't have IE6 on my machine so I hadn't really tested it much on that. I had heard there were problems, but wasn't worried about them until today. So today, I discovered a couple fun problems with IE6. One is that min-height doesn't work very well on things that aren't tables. (I thought the whole point, or a big point, of CSS was to get rid of tables.) So in order to make my min-heights work in IE6 without breaking anything else, I used a little trick i found at a blog by Dustin Diaz (which is appropriately ranked #1 on Google for 'min-height IE6' searches). Apparently this problem has been around a while, I've just been busy using Flash. Good deal for me, it's already fixed.

Add this to your classes that have min-height in them:
class {
min-height:500px;
height:auto !important;
height:500px;

}

Worked like a charm. For me and about 500 other people who commented about it on his blog.

No comments: